We make choices every day that can help reduce air pollution. Below are a few ideas that you can take to help clean our air.
- Conserve energy – turn off appliances and lights when nobody is home.
- Recycle paper, plastic, glass bottles, cardboard, and aluminum cans.
- Plant trees around your home to provide shade in the summer, but to allow light in the winter.
- Buy green electricity-produced and low-or even zero-pollution facilities.
- Use solar lighting.
- Wash clothes with warm or cold water instead of hot.
- Use low-VOC or water-based paints, stains, finishes, and paint strippers.
- Choose not to smoke in your home, especially if you have children. If you or your visitors must smoke, then smoke outside.
- Buy ENERGY STAR products, including energy efficient lighting and appliances. They are environmentally friendly products.
- Choose efficient, low-polluting models of vehicles.
- Choose products that have less packaging and are reusable.
- Shop with your own bag instead of using paper and plastic bags.
- Buy rechargeable batteries for devices used frequently.
For Your Health
- Check daily air quality forecasts, which tell how clean your air is, and the associated health concerns.
- Remove indoor asthma triggers from your home and avoid outdoor triggers in order to effectively control your asthma.
- Minimize your sun exposure. Wear sun block and UV protection sunglasses.